Monday, March 23, 2009

Nice and Mice

I like sleeping with my bread. But I don’t want mice sleeping in my bread (however adorable I find this picture). Although that’s a little like what this week has felt like. It seems every moment of consolation this week was paired with a moment of desolation.

Things went well on Tuesday morning, and I had my part of the project ready at 12:50, 10 minutes early! (Usually I’m scrambling to get it done and wind up being 10-15 minutes late). Then I couldn’t find TM to hand it off to… (Intradepartmental politics dictates that there be a middleman even though I could do the next part myself.) Turns out he’d forgotten or somehow had not been informed that we had a study scheduled that day. I got CG to take care of it for me, but I was no longer on-time. (And the preliminary results don't look good either.)

SG asked me if I wanted to hand out on Saturday afternoon and go Easter shopping. Well, it turns out we have different definitions of Easter shopping. Mine involve bunnies, baskets, plastic eggs, paint pens and candy. Hers involve shoe shopping and trying on swimsuits for her honeymoon this summer. Très différent.

A little Facebook stalking of a colleague garnered the information of when he would be presenting his work. The news spread like wildfire and we all showed to see what we expected to be a car crash. (While it’s not friendly or PC, we all know that we rubberneck to see the accident that’s been holding up traffic. This felt like with a little reconnaissance we’d found out when and where the accident would be occurring.) But there was no crash! It was as if the other car disappeared the instant before the crash would have occurred. We were all disappointed with the course of events and are now concerned about the state of the department.

(And one in reverse…)
Thursday was a bad morning. I was exhausted, stressed, running late and on the verge of tears when I got to campus. SG said good morning, I asked for a hug, and I started crying. After ascertaining that I was okay (in the big picture sense), she offered to combine our classes to make things easier on me. It worked well and helped me pull myself together knowing that I wasn’t alone.


To read more sleeping with bread posts go here.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Thank goodness for SG! How kind of her to offer to combine your classes. Here's to a fantastic week ahead!

Mel said...

Never a dull moment with that interdepartmental politicing... But good on you for having it done early!
And bless the SG's of the world, eh?

Never alone--ever...

ashley said...

People like SG make the world a much better place. God love 'em.

Unknown said...

Where did you find that picture?!!! What a surprise for the person who wanted to make a sandwich for lunch!

I'm sorry about the week. I'm glad you had SG to give you some comfort and support.

ashley said...

Mary-LUE: The pic’s from the lolcat website http://icanhascheezburger.com/. I saw it and just knew I had to find a use for it. I take no responsibility for any time lost in the world of lolcats, loldogs, etc.