Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend.
My Fourth of July got off to a damp start. The electricity in my block went out as I was getting ready for Mass. It wasn’t restored by the time Mass finished, so I hung out at a coffee shop for a few hours while the rain continued. By the time I headed home again, the electricity had been back for almost two hours. The clouds lingered all day with a little late afternoon clearing, but it stayed cool. Not typical St. Louis summer weather.
In the evening I went over to my friend CJ’s house, commonly referred to as the petting zoo. His menagerie includes fish, lizards, quail, ducks, and peacocks; and this is where my kitten was born. Presently he has baby bunnies—Koala and Butter—who have not yet opened their eyes. His neighbors shot off a lot of fireworks. It scares me when unsupervised children are playing with explosives and in the middle of the road. Two children were standing at opposite corners of their lot, lighting strings of firecrackers and throwing them towards each other! We didn’t have any fireworks of our own, but we did have a roaring bonfire after grilling pork steaks for dinner. And Whitey, the two year old female peacock laid an egg while we were there. It's in the incubator now... maybe there will be a baby peacock in another month's time.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Awwww.....aren't they just precious.

I had a lovely 4th, thank you--sounds like yours was thoroughly enjoyable as well.