Monday, May 18, 2009

No Rest for the Wicked

The things that make our lives hectic are often the things that make our lives worth living. If we did not have these demands on our lives, we would be without purpose. I am reminded of an old saying: “There is no rest for the wicked and the righteous don’t need any.”
God orders the lives of His children. It is up to us to decide how we view what He allows. We can see things as tiresome bothers, or we can see them as blessings. God won’t allow anything in our lives that He doesn’t give us the grace and strength to handle.

When did I give and receive the most love?

I had family in town to visit late last week (a first since I moved here five years ago). It is so wonderful to spend time with them and to have them here to celebrate the completion of this phase of life with me.
Most of “the guys” are preparing to leave for their summer assignments and saying goodbye. One gave me two books to read from a class he took last semester and wrote inside: “Always remember that we are your brothers who love you.” They treat me like a kid sister, and I will miss that this summer.
My good friend SG was wed this weekend. While I was disappointed that I had to miss the nuptial Mass, I was able to celebrate with them at the reception.

When did I give and receive the least love?

Looking at the lengthy to-do list last week and contemplating all that I had to do before mid-day Thursday. And I’m staring down a long one for this week already, with several items left over from last week.

The results of an experiment were confirmed and not with the desired result. The collaborators are disappointed and want me to “fix it.” I have some suggestions for them, but there’s nothing more that I can do at this point.


The secret to managing all of the stressors is to keep relying on God. Remember the promise in Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me”—and sleep in peace.


To read more people's weekly bread, check
here.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Ah--so that's the whole saying.... I'll have to tuck that away for the remembering.

I do know the 'no rest' bit--and though I'm tired, I'm not really weary (if that makes sense....). I seem to get the energy I need to take care of what's in front of me--and rest when it's time. Which, really, is kinda cool when you think about it.

I'm glad for you to have had family time, and that a couple of books for the summer found you. Nothing quite like a good read being gifted to me, yaknow?

Blessings to you and yours!!